BioHackers Podcast Ep. 8 – Science for Everyone featuring Tyesha Farmer
November 07, 2022
David James Clarke IV and Alex Feltus featuring Tyesha Farmer
Welcome to Episode 8 of the BioHackers Podcast!
In this episode, David and Alex welcome inspirational bioinformatics professor Tyesha Farmer from Alabama A&M University. Together, they discuss the importance of academic mentorship, the global impact of agriscience, and the power of enabling everyone with the opportunities of a science-based education.
Watch the Podcast on YouTube: https://youtu.be/bPrLkt07cPo
Here is a list of topics:
- Welcome to Episode 8 (00:00)
- The Open-Source Movement (1:28)
- Connecting Marginalized Students to the Right Tools (4:31)
- Welcome Tyesha to the Show (7:33)
- How Dr. Farmer Expanded Research Opportunities (9:45)
- The Story of Dr. Farmer’s Journey to a Science Career (10:57)
- Dr. Farmer Finding Her Identity in STEM (22:27)
- Providing Access to STEM Opportunities Through Virtual Research (29:51)
- Scaling Mentorship Opportunities (31:27)
- Building an International Community of Researchers (34:40)
- Digital Credentials (37:40)
- Educating after a PhD (44:00)
- The Importance of Agriscience Education (46:00)
- How Alex Started His Science Career in Agriscience (51:24)
- What is a BioHacker to You? (58:40)
- Closing Thoughts (59:59)
Enjoy the Show!